Installing MySQL 5.x in Windows
This tutorial provides a step-by-step installation guide for MySQL 5.5 on Windows.
Depending on your operating system download the proper version of MySQL from the following link.
MSI Installer is recommended for beginners. Choose either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your OS. We use MySQL 5.5 in this tutorial.
The installation is simple. Double click the MSI installer to start the setup.
- MySQL Server Setup Wizard opens up. Click Next to continue.
- Accept the License Agreement.
- Select a setup type – Typical, Complete, or Custom. Select Typical and click Next.The default installation directory will be C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server (version number) or you can choose custom install and change the directory.
- Click Install Button.
- Click Next.
- Click Next.
- Make sure you have the “Launch the MySQL Instance Configuration Wizard” box checked and click Finish.
MySQL Server Instance Configuration
- The configuration wizard should start automatically when you click the Finish button.
- Alternatively, you can launch the wizard by double clicking on “MySQLInstanceConfig.exe” from “C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server (version number)\bin” folder.
- Select “Standard Configuration”.
- Check all the boxes – “Install As Windows Service”, “Launch the MySQL Server automatically” and “Include Bin Directory in Windows PATH”.
- Set the password for the mysql “root” user (the administrator user in mysql). Please remember this password or note it down in a safe place.
- Click Execute Button. If you get any errors, try disabling any anti-virus or firewall software.
- If no errors, then MySQL is successfully configured.
Open “Command Prompt” and issue the following command.
mysql –u root –p
It should ask for, “Enter password:”
Type the root password which you gave in the configuration (Step 3.d).
If you get mysql command prompt, “mysql>” then you logged into MySQL successfully.
To come out of “mysql>” command prompt, type “exit” or “quit” or Ctrl-C.